Monday, March 2, 2020

Biography: Bicycle 16 Responding

There's quite a bit you can't do at age 16, but oh so much you can. Oddly enough, in the state of Maryland you can become a certified Emergency Medical Technician. Now I can't say that I'd recommend it looking back, but it sure was a lot of fun! So at the ripe old age of sixteen and a half, I was riding in the back of ambulances taking patients to the local hospital. Well... sometimes. You see, the training course to become an EMT is intense. 165 classroom hours over the course of 5 months, plus ride along time. All while I was in high school. Because of this crazy schedule, I was unable to complete my drivers ed course until much later than normal. So what's a girl to do when the fire siren goes off for a vehicle accident right down the street from her house? I had just gotten my license at this point, but it didn't matter. My mom's car was in the garage getting the oil changed and my dad was still at work. I hadn't been driving long enough at that point to warrant my family getting a third vehicle yet. So I did what any sane (ish) person would do, I grabbed my little brother's bike. I rode as fast as I could to the firehouse six blocks down the street, left the bike in the engine bay, grabbed my bunker gear (which weighed about as much as I did), and walked the last four blocks to the scene of the accident fully suited up. In the middle of July. My dad still makes fun of me for it on occasion, but I'm just proud I managed to make it there without passing out!

via Wikimedia Commons
Author's Note: I don't know why this was the first story that popped into my head when I decided to do this assignment, but here we are. It's 3am and I'm running on nothing but Monster and adrenaline at this point. I decided to not question it and just started typing. I think it's an amusing story and I hope someone else enjoys it too!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jessica!

    I read your recent introduction and then read your introduction from the Myth and Folklore class and thought you were so cool! I used to play in the orchestra too. I play the cello and one year at uni I actually played with OU’s civic orchestra. Anyway, I think it’s so cool that you were an EMT at 16 years old!?! The fact that you were doing something so intense like being an EMT is super impressive. When I was in high school, all I focused on was school, orchestra, and swim practice. I loved the part where you rode your bike to the place. Bikes are such useful tools that I feel like people overlook. I always loved how in old shows, the children and young adults would ride their bikes everywhere instead of driving. Reading how you utilized a bike despite having other transportation methods was heart warming. Anyway, I can’t wait to read your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica!

    I think that it is so awesome that you were able to become a certified EMT at 16, WOW!! That's an amazing accomplishment at such a young age. Also, can we talk about bravery and passion?! I don't know anyone else that would ride their bike to the fire station and then walk to the scene of an accident with all of that gear on. You go girl! I'm excited to read your other posts and explore your project this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica!
    Woah that is so cool! I can't believe you became an EMT so young. I can almost envision you riding your brother's bike to the fire house from the way you described it. It's kind of a funny picture to imagine someone responding to an accident on a bike but I love how it kind of shows age and the things you don't have can't keep you from getting the job done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Jessica, I actually love this story because I can sort of relate - just not to this extent. I got my first job at 17 and didn't get my license until I was 18. This story took me back to the times when I had to ask my friends to take me to work after school... it was so embarrassing. But there was no way I was able to walk like you were. Hahaha it still makes me laugh thinking about your scenario because like.. I just imagine the scene being all cleaned up and the accident already gone by the time you got there. Please write more biography-style stories! We need some good humor in times like these :')

    ReplyDelete