Sunday, April 19, 2020

Growth Mindset: Wise Words from Dad

When I began my undergraduate career back in 2017, I was still riding my high of never needing to study and pulling straight A's while barely breaking a sweat. Then freshman year happened. I pulled a B in all but one of my eight classes. I was devastated (little did I know how much worse it would get...)

One of the things that my dad emphasized when I finally came home for the summer, and continues to point out on a regular basis, is that for most of our college careers a lot of the learning doesn't happen in the classroom. We are all learning who we are as individuals and how to function as adults in a world that suddenly thrusts countless responsibilities upon us as soon as we turn 18. A big help in adjusting to this new phase of life is learning to not be so hard on ourselves. There's no user manual for adulthood, and just because the grown-ups in our lives may seem to know what they're doing doesn't mean they aren't mentally screaming into the void like the rest of us. They've just had more practice at hiding it.

So I guess this is a two-for-one mantra post:

Made with Cheezburger
Made with Cheezburger

No comments:

Post a Comment