Sunday, April 26, 2020

Biography: Pronunciation Matters

Share an event in your life when you later found out you had been wrong about something.

Author's Note: I received a comment on one of my previous Bio Writing posts to "Please write more biography-style stories! We need some good humor in times like these :')" (Thanks Christine! Glad you enjoyed it!). I agree that some humor is very much needed in these stressful times. So, without further ado, one of the most embarrassing moments of my life that my family still harasses me over nearly a decade later. Hopefully it will give at least a few of you a chuckle. If not, I just published this to the internet, so no takesies-backsies. 

Setting: Cancun, Mexico. Circa 2011(ish). On a family vacation.
Age: 12 (I think?)

When I was in 7th grade, my family took a vacation to Cancun, Mexico. I can't remember the name of the resort we were at for the life of me, but I do know it was all-inclusive with a swim-up bar in the pool that did non-alcoholic mudslides and daiquiris for the kiddos. I was in heaven! One of the outings we went on was to an adventure park called Xplor. I went zip lining, despite being terrified of heights, and later floated on a lazy river style ride through beautiful caverns. One of the families in our "group" happened to have a daughter my age and was staying at the same hotel as us! We hung out for most of our time at the park and even had dinner with them the next night!

Now for the embarrassing part: While at the restaurant, my little brother (about nine years old at the time) decided to try ordering for himself.

Lil' Bro: "Daddy, I want this!"

Dad: "That's fine, just tell the waitress when she gets here."

Me: "What are you getting?" *has him point to what he's ordering*

My eyes get wide, and I, in my infinite 12-year-old wisdom, blurt out, "Wait, isn't that underwear? You're gonna let him order underwear???"

That, ladies and gentleman, was the day that four adults had to struggle through tear-inducing laughter to explain the difference between linguine and lingerie to me. In my defense, the words do look quite similar! 

But wait! There's more! Flash forward a year or so to a vacation in Outer Banks, NC with another family that is now our neighbors. They have, of course, heard the linguine story by now. I believe it actually got brought up while we were eating that night, so it was fresh on everyone's mind. We're in the Dirty Dick's Crab Shack gift shop after dinner and my dad pulls some souvenir panties off the rack, holds them up, and goes, "Hey Jess, you want some linguine?"

Haha. Very funny. Mrs. Donna is losing it on the other side of the small store, so dad decides to launch them at her like a rubberband. What no one knew until after she caught them? On the front of this G-string was a cartoon shrimp with the words "Peel Me and Eat Me." On a pair of underwear. Yeah. Nice one, dad.

I remembered the name of the resort! Azul Sensatori!
via Flickr

1 comment:

  1. LOL. This sounds like a lot of my family vacations when I was young. I had two little brothers myself and there were always silly fights and antics happening. I don't know how my parents managed to stay sane in the car with all three of us. I guess it was probably the little jokes that they made that made it worth it.

    ReplyDelete