Sunday, April 26, 2020

Microfiction: The Dance of Death

via Flickr
Sudden Fiction: Word Count 162

You push the door open gently and reval an old storage room. There's a layer of dust covering everything in sight. Well, almost everything... The twisted piece of metal seems innocuous enough. Even with its mysterious glow. You're not sure where the knowledge comes from, but you know it won't hurt you. It exudes a sense of peace, warmth, and comfort along with its soft, ethereal glow. You reach out and gently remove it from its place on the crumbling wooden bookshelf. As you fingers close around it, the house shakes and an eerie melody drifts in through the open door behind you. You poke your head back out into the corridor and call for your sister. She emerges from the dining room, gracefully floating down the hall like a dancer in a trance. She's muttering to herself, "Yes, Master. I'm coming to the Ballroom." She begins humming along with the haunting tune as she drifts out of sight around the corner.

Drabble: Word Count 59

You hear the spooky, unnerving sound of a fiddle start somewhere in old house. It gets louder and louder as you sense of unease grows. Then, a sense of calm passes over you as you feel the calming music reach you.. go through you... It beckons you, and you follow with no hesitation. There is nothing but the music.

Author's Note:

These two are based on the scenario of Betrayal at House on the Hill that my family and I played last night. While it's a little complicated to figure out the first few times through, I would highly recommend it! I had played it at a friend's house prior to quarantine (oh the days when I could leave the house...) and convinced my dad to order it off of Amazon. Let me know if you've played this before or end up trying it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica,
    This is the first post I have seen in this class with more than one story. I really enjoyed that idea and I may steal this from you for my next post. I also enjoy that the two stories connect. It would have been a little awkward to have two stories that do not connect so great choice there. I enjoyed the pace and tension that you wrote with to keep the reader on the edge of their seat and not able to guess what would happen next.

    ReplyDelete